View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
One of my personal goals for this season is to give no more than three Ts to coaches (I gave seven last season). However, I set that goal becuase I am trying to improve my skills at working and communicating with coaches. I felt part of the problem was I was "too sensitive", did not take the opportunties presented to try to smooth things during a game and did not understand that many times the comments/complaints from a coach are the result of his frustration with his team...he has been on them from the start, they aren't listening and it is simply a matter of guilt be association...I'm on the same court as the Bozo's from his school.

That said...this coach needed whacking real fast.
Larry - maybe a better goal would be to not assess any unneeded technical fouls (remember the phrase - will this make the game better?). Those T's where, after you give them, you wish you could have them back. Of course, the best way for that to work is to not get down on yourself if you call one, but to analyze why you called the technical and see what (if anything) you could have done to avoid it. If a player/coach/howler monkey deserves a T, give it.

I'd be weary about any sort of numerical limit. Case in point - I had seven technical fouls in the course of two games last Thursday. I don't feel bad about a single one of them.