Thread: Good letter
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 31, 2002, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Coachgrd,

You need to re-read the letter.

Don't just yell at us from the floor or T us up without warning.
I can't imagine a ref "yelling" at a coach. If they did, chances are it was because they were tired of you yelling at them. We don't have to give you a warning, it depends on the circumstances whether you get one or not before a T.

---Be consistent. If you are calling a tight game in the first half, call it that way in the second.
If both teams play the same way in both halves, the officiating will be "consistent." A good ref adjusts to the level and style of the play.

If you're letting the kids play a physical game, don't change to a tight game at halftime.
Again, the teams decide how physical it is. We just call the fouls and violations that we see.

---Don't single out players.
That statement is so ridiculous that it isn't even worthy of a response.

If you call a travel or palming against the star guard, call it against the average guard. If you call over-the-back against a big center as he grabs the rebound from smaller kids, call it against the smaller kid when he climb's the big kid's back. Don't try to even up the abilities of the players artificially.
Another ignorant statement. We just call the game. I've never cared who won nor cared who the star players are. If you think you see the same thing against one kid and not against the other, the ref saw something different. There is no such call as "over the back." If a player is displaced or put at disadvantage on the rebound, we'll call a push regardless of the size or ability of the players.

---Don't tolerate out-of-control parents.
We don't have jurisdiction on parents unless they are sitting on your bench. Yeah, we could call a "T" on the crowd, but it isn't recommended. You could help us by having game management deal with the out-of-control parent before we have to get game management to do something.

But if my kids' parents are loud and obnoxious, don't hold it against me or my kids.
Another ignorant statement. I don't hold an obnoxious coaches behavior against the kids nor would I hold a parent's conduct against them either. We just ref.

---If you miss a call at one end, don't try to make it up at the other end.
If you see that happen in my game, your coaching bias is affecting your judgment. Make-up calls are for the NBA.

---If you're fair, professional, consistent, you will gain immediate respect from the great majority of players and coaches.
When we take the floor, all we are trying to do is be fair, professional and consistent. However, that "winning and losing thing" seems to cloud the ability of many coaches and players to see that.

Z