Thread: LA 4A Final
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I was at the game, and as an official, I obvously defend officials moreso than the average bear.

HOWEVER - in this game there were waaaaaay too many flags. I wasn't tracking penalties, but it seemed like an easy 30 flags between the teams.

I know I am crossing the line a bit by criticizing other officials, but I think that they could have been a bit more judicious. The opening kickoff was an omen, as the kicking team was flagged for offsides. Later in the game, there was another flag for offsides on the kicking team (that's right two in one game). The kicker to me though, was with 50 seconds left, and Bastrop clearly in control of the game and running the clock out, there was a holding penalty called.

I have never officiated a state championship game, so I don't know the feeling of being down there in the 'dome, so I will just assume that the officials were trying too hard. To be clear, I am not calling them bad officials, but I think they could have done a better job.

...and by the way, Bastrop was clearly the better team, and they probably would have easily won the 5A Championship game too. I sure would love to see them play John Curtis, I think those two teams were the two best teams in the state this year.

Last edited by GPC2; Mon Dec 11, 2006 at 11:19am.