View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
What is the big thing some umpires have about demanding the pitcher to be perfect by enforcing a tight zone.

We all know umpires that will tell you they make the pitcher throw through a tight zone. My question is, why would they do that?

Hell, I'd rather see the batter use that expensive piece of equipment instead of standing there and polishing it on their shoulder strap.
Generally speaking..

I have found for me a tighter zone is the path of least resistance. No way do I have a "tight-coffee can zone" - but in general terms, if you sit down batter after batter (as I have done) with a wide zone you have more trouble (ie complaints/whining) than if you squeeze a little. I think people have their mind trained to MLB - so a little lower is fine.. high stuff, no way - that ticks people off.

A little outside is fine.. if you let the good pitchers jam them inside or work these tough to hit areas, they will stay there all day and its counter productive to the "bat on the shoulder" argument; which I tend to agree with. Generally, a looser zone with good pitchers doesnt mean they will be more hittable, it just means you will get more foul balls and called 3K IMO.

Dont construe this to mean me advocating a "tight zone" .. but more arguing against a real loose zone, a little tight.

I've tried all kinds of zones working this or that and for me, I think erroring on the side of the tighter zone is better than just ringing them up. I've not found at any level above rec league that a loose zone = more hitting. Good pitchers figure it out quick and dont give that batter a dang thing to hit.