View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
... If Team B fell for this what would you do?
You would likely find me ROFLMAO.... I think your scenario is a bit of a stretch.

As an official you have a responsibility to administer the throw-in to the correct team. You would enforce that responsibility if both teams were ready. You would enforce that responsibility if only one team was ready. I tend to feel that you have administered the ball to Team A when you placed it on the floor and it is Team A that I am penalizing by beginning my count - the same as if they were standing there with the ball in their hands.

I just don't think I would allow Team B to interrupt that impending penalty if I could prevent it.

Crossing the OOB boundary because of confusion is not the same as sticking your hand across the plane during a throw-in.

When I'm standing there with the ball, waiting to administer to Red, and White steps out to make the throw-in, I don't call a delay violation or a technical foul - I inform White of their error and get the correct team, Red, for the throw-in. No penalty. I imagine that you would do the same in that situation. Setting the ball down for a particular team seems quite similar to me.