View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTownTonyBrown
So.... (Nevada, particularly)

If you have already issued the first, and only, warning, now you're going to assess Team B with a Technical foul???!!!

That should make Team A pretty happy ... especially when they are still standing in their huddle.

In my opinion, this is the time for some preventive officiating. Straighten Team B out before they touch the ball ... if I'm on a very slow three (after the second horn and I've waited for a few seconds before beginning my count) and Team A hasn't even broke their huddle yet, I may just call the 5-second violation and give the ball to Team B.

If I'm not quick witted enough to stop Team B before they touch the ball, then I would say that Team B has just saved Team A's butt. I would stop the throw-in, correct the error by stopping Team B and if Team A has still not made it to the throw-in spot, put the ball down and begin the count again.

I'm surely not going to penalize Team B for getting onto the court first.
As you said this could potentially be a big call. If that is going to be the case, then my preference is to handle it by the book. I do not believe that it is my role to prevent Team B from doing anything that would bail out Team A. That is the job of their coach. My job is to be a neutral observer and penalize the rules infractions that are committed. I would be very apprehensive about doing what you advocate. In my opinion that crosses the line into very dangerous territory. You could be accused of aiding Team B.

What if Team A did this on purpose in an attempt to draw the T? For example, Team B already has a delay of game warning and Team A knows that. Team A trails by two points and has a throw-in from the sideline adjacent to their backcourt with only .1 remaining on the clock. Obviously, they can't catch and shoot, so the crafty coach takes a time-out and then rather than go for the low-percentage tap play, he opts utilize the RRP by holding his team near the bench following the second horn and risk the 5 second violation in an attempt to confuse Team B and draw them into breaking the plane (or even picking up the ball) once the official places it on the floor. If Team B fell for this what would you do?