View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say I agree with much of Dakota above..

I do change my strike zone for skill level.. for instance, in the early part of the year I am working a rec league and I wont be as tight as I will be when I start working the 16 and 18 A/G travel ball/mens FP.

I'd say at the upper levels, For ME, I've found everyone is more appreciative of a tighter strike zone (ie. less trouble).. if you are ringing up people at a arm pit high pitch a storm is coming.

To lay out every aspect of what I do is probably long and boring.. but I do adjust a little on the 3-0 .. 0-2 , but I dont think I do it as much as other umpires I see. "Adjust" may not be the right word.. perhaps - less willing to give the marginal in those instances.

I dont change my zone based on score/batter/pitcher once the game is started. Any decisions I make as to how I will call a game are made pregame/pre tourney - then I try to stay consistant. I do believe a coach/pitcher/batter need to be able to "work" - to do that they need their umpire to be in consistant in what they are calling so they can make the appropriate adjustments.

In general, If forced to describe my zone - I give some outside, will call the knee, tight on the inside, about a softball and 1/2 above the belly button high.

While the rulebook lays out one strike zone rule, then the POE changes it a little, and the clinics may even alter that alittle more.. I think it is a "right" of the umpire to develop a zone for himself within reason, then his duty to stay consistant with that for the game. If he/she learns something knew/wants to try something different.. try it out on the next game.. and continue to grow and develope their strike zone..

i.e. it is not an exact science. It is a learned skill.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 09:10pm.