View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrhod
Also, I have heard a non-ASA umpire tell a coach, I was not involved in the game, that “the strike zone is whatever I call”. This happened after 3 or 4 bad (IMHO) strike calls in a row, and the coach riding the umpire. Certainly the umpire was justified in reacting to the coach.
Maybe, but I don't like what he said. All that I've found necessary to say is, "Coach, are you aware that arguing balls and strikes is against the rules?" That will usually put an end to it without the antagonism and bravado of your friends response.

Quote:
...and he still calls an awesome game. ...One thing, he cannot stand it when one team beats another by a lot of runs. ...when run differential is 5 runs or so, you will see the strike zone change significantly. The winning team will get squeezed and the loosing team will get opened up.
IOW, he cheats to to help the struggling team. Personally, I wouldn't call this "an awesome game" calling technique. My issue is not his opening up of the zone, but the opening for one team and squeezing for the other. Why limit this favortism to just the strike zone?

Quote:
So far he has not changed the outcome of a game.
He's been doing this for 50 years and NEVER changed the outcome of a game? I ain't buying it.

Quote:
That has been part of the game for 200 years
Both you and Davey Johnson need to work on your math.

Quote:
The part to me that is off a bit is that the ASA rule book is exact in stating the location of the strike zone. It really provides no room for adjustment.
The rule book provides a reliable, consistent point of reference for the umpire, and then the umpire manual instructs how to interpret the rule.

Quote:
Yet ASA, I believe, teaches adjustment of the strike zone year to year.
Year to year? Really?

Quote:
When MLB actually changes the strike zone, they do it officially in the rule book.
I guess you don't actually watch too many MLB games.

Quote:
We do not allow the difference between what is called on the field and what is in the rule book in any other area of the game.
Really? Don't you see this variation in just about all of the judgment calls?

Quote:
How should the strike zone be called, per the rule book or with allowances?
Per the rule book with the official interpretations, training, and experience. It also needs to be adjusted to the age and skill of the players, but any adjustment needs to apply to both teams in a given game
Quote:
Should ASA (or any association) actually be making a rule change to adjust the strike zone?
No need, IMO.