View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
WARNING: THERE IS NO RULES SUPPORT FOR THIS AT ALL!
We now return to our regular discussion.
=================
The coach should have kept track of the time-outs better himself or had a manager or asst coach do it for him. The official should charge the team technical foul.

BY RULE Nevada, you are absolutely correct. But it also doesn't say that officials need to address coaches concerns during the game either, and yet we do. I merely replied from a game management perspective. Sometimes we, as officials, use our own best judgement when a situation falls outside the normal guidelines defined in the rulebook. If the coach "thought" he had a timeout, and then because of mistake that I, or my crew, SHOULD and could have prevented, I am not going to penalize them. I will however, give that coach the opportunity to get out of a bad situation without causing further delay or problems. When Team B coach asks why he didn't get a Technical, I respond, "Coach, I screwed up. I didn't check the book and account for the all the timeouts, and I am not going punish that coach or his team for my error. I hope you understand. Thanks."

Is that in the rulebook or officials' manual, NO. Is it good game management, I say yes. IMHO