Thread: a rough night
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakman2005000
Just so I understand you, are you saying that it's more important to get the administration correct and potentially "air dirty laundry" for all to see, or go with an incorrect administration and not cause a scene. Not trolling, just interested in getting a clarification.

I think this is an interesting situation and I am glad that I know my partners well enough that all it would take is, "I'm 100% sure on this and I'll take the heat if I'm not".
The problem is that there's a false dichotomy set up here. This isn't an either/or situation.

Of course if the partner gets nasty and starts yelling and gesticulating, you back down.

But that's not generally the problem. Generally, the newer, less experienced ref (who is also generally not the R) isn't sure whether to insist on his way, or not. When we say here that the R does not have the right to overrule the U, we're saying that the U needs to learn how to appropriately assert his own call, and administer it in a reasonable fashion.

Whoever calls something has the right to go ahead and administer that call. No one has the right to overrule. If the "more experienced" ref tries to step in and insist on overruling, then the other calling official needs to know how to assert himself in an appropirate manner. It can be done. And it doesn't have to lead to blows or yelling.

If I make a call and my partner insists on being obnoxious, I might back down for the sake of protecting the integrity of the game, or I might stand firm for the sake of the integrity of the game. Either way, I'm gonna report the idiot. And I have.

What OP needs to know, is that yelling, fighting in public scenario isn't all that common, and it's not something that needs to be worried about. If OP will calmly but firmly manage the situation and assert his own correctness (even when he's wrong!), 90% (or more!) of partners will cope with it, and back down. Which is, btw, the right thing to do.