Thread: a rough night
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Grow up....

It's not what you say but how you say it.

Then why do you continue to do it?

That rule citation does not address this poster original question or my scenario.

As I told you before I have personal experience with this type of behavior. If you want to insist that this type of thing never happens, then okay. But please don't take this the wrong way, but, that just means you are not qualified to answer this question. If you want to say like most of the others here to stand your ground, going by the written word in the book that no official can overrule another officials decision. You just invited a rookie official, and it doesn't have to be a rookie official either, but you just invited an official to go to war with his partner right there face to face. Have you ever heard of 2 officials coming to blows, that right, fighting in a game? I have! This is the type of thing that can happen when 2 arrogant guys won't back down. Now what do you do genius? I notice you never answer that question? Okay, I think I need to say this. We already know who's right and who's wrong, rule 2.6, but what does that have to do with it? It's about the pride now, losing face, right and wrong got nothing to do with it now.

Let me say it like this. I asked several senior officials what they would do in my situation. One DI official told me he would walk off the floor and tell the guy he could call the rest of the game without me cause it's obvious he doesn't need me. Maybe one day when I'm established like him I can pull that stunt. Now I understand that that's the macho thing to do, but I also understand that if I walk off an assignment, I'm just as wrong as the official who changed my call, and I might not ever get assigned to a game like that again. My motto Mr. JR is live to fight another day. Do you mind if I share that with the others who might have been in the same boat as I. I said it like this; "You're the R for the game, we're not going to sit here and quibble over who's right or wrong, we got a game to call and finish, go over to the table and tell them what we've going to do, explain it to the coaches and let's move on." It's your hide not mined.

You would be surprised to learn what this assigner did after I told him what happen.
What you're asking is what to do if the "established guy" tries to pull rank and insist on overruling you, you finish the game as best you can and then you report to the assignor that you don't want to work with him again and why. But none of that has anything to do with what the OP posted, or with what JR was talking about.

What JR was talking about was the rules as published, and the books where those rules are printed. You have never given any indication that you even care about the books, or the rules. What you do in a certain situation is completely irrelevant to the OP. You just set up a straw man (do you know what that means?) and then knock it over, but you don't address the original situation.

The OP asked, "He's the veteran, what else could I do?" JR is telling him what the rules say about what OP could have done. You have your own opinions, but so what? As officials we follow rules as written, with some flexibility within what's prescribed.

What OP could have done was to go to the table and say, "I called such and so, and that's what we're going to do" and then go to the appropriate place and get play started. If partner is *** enough to try to overrule at that point, then you let him be the one that walks away or stops the game inappropriately. Arguing is pointless. For the OP to stand up for himself and be firm isn't starting a war. It isn't either "my way or the highway" for the R. The U can stand firm without coming to blows, and that's what the rule book prescribes.

It's really not this complicated, at least, it doesn't need to be.