View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 07:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
1) I don't have the case book with me but there is a case that says the horn doesn't stop play if it sounds at an incorrect time.

2) By your interpretation, it seems you'd rule the ball dead if the timer pushes the horn button with 0.5 on the clock becasue the horn sounded or if the timer accidentially reset the clock to 0 before the shot was released.

3) The rule can't be such that it would be an advantage for the timer to be deliberately slow in the stopping of the clock....hoping the officials don't know how much time to put on the clock. If that were allowed, a home scorer could win the game for their team by manipulating the clock.
1) It doesn't matter when you look up that case play or not. That horn has got absolutely nothing to do with the horn that ends a period. If you can't put time back up on the clock, then the horn ending the period did not sound at an incorrect time. Apples and kumquats.

2) Um, no, I'm not saying anything at all except commenting on exactly what the original post stated. I haven't commented on any other different situations and I don't plan to. This one is headache enough. And....please don't try to put words into my mouth to further your argument.

3) Again, I'm not giving you or anybody else my own personal like or dislike of this situation. I'm just commenting on it from a strict rules basis.....and I'm also wondering how I'd respond if a complaint came in from the other coach who had maybe lost a game because an official counted a basket and put time back on the clock without any rules basis to do so. You tell me....how would you answer that complaint, Camron? Maybe I'm wrong philosophically, but I always thought being "fair" went both ways.