View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

I've got to agree with the majority. With no prior knowledge and no obvious signs of distress or injury exhibited by the player, not much else they could do.

I do, however, have serious issues with the coach. If he had been more proactive in telling his player to sit down on the floor or make some other very obvious action indicating he was having a problem, and let the officials know ahead of time what was going on, it would have been a lot easier on everyone. IMHO, if anyone dropped the ball on this one it was the coach.

I can't for the life of me understand why a kid with a serious heart condition was playing in the first place. Quite recently we had an incident at a local HS where a kid playing on the varsity team came out of the game in a routine substitution, then shortly after taking a seat on the bench he collapsed and died. Turns out he had a known heart condition that he was under a physician's care for. I can understand a kid's desire to play, and the attempt to let them participate as much as possible, but basketball is a game....is it really worth dying for?