View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yabut....hw do you know for a fact that the shot would have been released before the horn should have gone off? If there was...say....0.4 seconds left on the clock when you blew your whistle, can you honestly say that the shooter would have definitely finished his shooting motion and got the ball airborne within that 0.4 seconds? And if you don't know exactly how much time was on the clock when you blew your whistle, how can you really "know for a fact" that the ball would have been in the air before the buzzer anyway?

JR why is it so hard to believe that that the official would know that "there was...say...0.4 seconds left"? It seems to me you could easily have a case where the L has the foul and the T looks at the clock after the whistle and sees a specific time on the clock, which would constitute definite knowledge.

Furthermore why does the official need to know that the shot would have been off before the buzzer? I agree with the earlier post that the removal of lag time has given the official (with definite knowledge) the ability to correct timer error no matter how minute. Therefore the game clock should be theoretically stopped at 0.4, or whatever time the official saw, and the continuation of the normal shooting motion would be allowed to continue as if the clock had stopped correctly. As far as 6-7-7c and the note about the horn, I believe that we should interpret this as a horn sounding correctly.

Last edited by biz; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 01:39pm.