Thread: Post season
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
The Lodged Ball thread made me think we need to carry on a new topic.

Ok, here's a list of Sweeping Generalizations. Do you agree with any, all, or none of the following?

1. - Officials who work 20 HS games are more qualified to work post-season than those who work the minimum of 10.
2. - Officials who work 40 HS games are more qualified to work post-season than those who work 20.
3. - Officials who work college-level ball should not be allowed to work HS post-season, because they aren't focused on the HS game.
4. - Officials who work college-level ball are more qualified to work HS post-season because they are working at a higher level.
5. - Post-season assignments are a reward to officials for putting in their time during the season.
6. - Only the best officials should work the post-season.
7. - Only the best HS officials should work the post-season.
HS playoffs should be worked by the best officials who concentrate on the high school game. So I agree with 7 only actually (which may surprise you).

I disagree with 1 & 2 because quanity does not always equate to quality.

3. Gets a partial agree. The exception I make here is for officials make the initial transition into the college game. An official who still works the majority of games at the HS level should still qualify for the HS playoffs.

4. is an absolute disagree. College ball only or majority officials are less qualified for the HS game because they work a different level which has different expectations on play.

5. Playoffs are awards for excellence in officiating at that level as well as dedication to that level. It takes both.

In short the best officials at that level should have the playoff assignment (with "at that level" meaning majority of work at that level).