Thread: Being shown up?
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
But the point is that the veteran DID take care of it. The problem isn't that different officials handle situations differently, the problem is that some officials DON'T handle them at all. I believe that was the assigner's point. When one crew doesn't address the coaches' poor behavior, whether due to laziness, lack of fortitude, or rank inexperience, it does make the job more difficult for the next crew.

Now the next crew may be perfectly capable of handling this newly emboldened coach, then again they may be a less experienced crew whose lives will be made more difficult as a result of the first crew's inaction.

Assigners aren't generally worried about the JRut's of the world, who can clearly be relied on to take care of business, they're worried about retaining their rookies and keeping their lower level games under control.

At least that's what I read into this assigner's letter.
I like this. JR's right, the high time guys can (or should) take care of things. Yet, many times the less experienced refs are afraid to rock the boat. They're afraid of being cut. IMHO, the letter gives them the license to take care of business. It encourages it and explains why. It puts everyone on the same page and then if some coach wants to complain or cut an official for taking care of business, his assignor should give the ref the "atta boy". He should also remind the coach, in a friendly way, about the letter.

barryb