Thread: Being shown up?
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
But the point is that the veteran DID take care of it. The problem isn't that different officials handle situations differently, the problem is that some officials DON'T handle them at all. I believe that was the assigner's point. When one crew doesn't address the coaches' poor behavior, whether due to laziness, lack of fortitude, or rank inexperience, it does make the job more difficult for the next crew.
The officials that will not handle them are not going to be solved in a letter or a directive. There are going to be officials that are not capable to handle those situations. Remember these are judgment calls and it is really hard to tell people how to use their judgment in difficult situations. Even we talking about this hear is not going to advance some people that are reading this.

Quote:
Now the next crew may be perfectly capable of handling this newly emboldened coach, then again they may be a less experienced crew whose lives will be made more difficult as a result of the first crew's inaction.
We are also talking about a freshman coach. Which means they will not see the most experienced and confident officials around. I worked a freshman game last night and neither coach said a word to either me or my partner. My partner had much less experience than I did, but because of his normal profession, he had a certain confidence that the coaches left me and him alone. Afterwards the coaches thought we were some of the best officials they had seen at that level. I am sure other officials at the same level of my partner would not have been able to handle the game or have the level of consistency that made my job much easier for the two games we worked.

Quote:
Assigners aren't generally worried about the JRut's of the world, who can clearly be relied on to take care of business, they're worried about retaining their rookies and keeping their lower level games under control.

At least that's what I read into this assigner's letter.
Whether an official thinks me and others can handle the situation is still not the issue from my point of view. All officials are not the same and no matter what you put in a letter are not going to completely change how different officials handle these types of situations. Coaches just need to know when they roll the dice they might just crap out. If they do not want to get hit with a technical foul, then shut up and no one can fairly stick you.

Peace