View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT THE REF
Hello everyone,

I attended my local assc. meeting last night and one of the topics for discussion was the aspect of intentional fouls as it relates to the game.

It was stated that...
A) If a player is trying to strategically foul (stop clock or get into bonus situation) and is not going for the ball (i.e. instead of trying to steal the ball – just grasping the player or jersey to commit a foul) then it should be ruled intentional…Regardless of how much contact their actually was.
I agree. These are not "normal defensive maneuvers." Instead, they are designed *solely* to stop the clock and should be intentional. You can *also* have an intentional foul if there's excessive contact, but this is a different issue.

Quote:
B) As with the above situation, if a coach is screaming “foul them, foul them” and they commit the same act or some other foul and not playing for the ball – this must be deemed intentional.
I disagree here. That statement was in the POE one year (a few years ago), but was then rescinded. It's the actions of the player that make the foul an I or not, not the words of the coach.