View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 07:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea

You want a specific example of common sense not being utilized that created a problem in a game? Visiting team's coach calls an early TO (after being down 12-2 to start the game). Neither my partner, who heard the request, nor me or our third partner saw a specific "full" or "30 second" signal. After the calling official asked 3 or 4 times which TO they wanted (and getting no repsonse), he awarded a full TO - which is probably what most people would do and probably what most assignors would want. The visiting team were all standing on the court around their coach (typicall of a :30 TO) and ready to play after approx. :30. When the visiting coach found out that he was charged w/ a full TO and not the :30 TO that he wanted, he went nuts and ultimately ended up w/ a T. So instead of using common sense and waiting a few extra seconds to see whether the players were seated on the bench (as during a full TO) or huddled around the coach on the court (as during a :30 TO), my partner gave a full TO which ultimately led the T....and their was 17:33 left in the first half!

Now you tell me, was it better to follow the "rule book" or use common sense? Seems pretty clear to me that the use of common sense would have avoided the train wreck that ensued and would have provided for a better overall game.
You ask THREE or FOUR times, and the goof just ignores you? Of course, you're going to charge him with a full time-out.

There's a big difference between common sense and not having the testicular fortitude to enforce the rules. What you're advocating sureasheck isn't "common sense" imo.

Ask THREE or FOUR freaking times and still get no answer? How long were you prepared to wait before you decided to tell the bench what kind of TO it was? The players don't have to sit on the bench during a 60-second TO, you know.

Lah me......