View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Either you can decide to penalize every infraction no matter how technical it is. Or you can use a little bit of common sense and realize that the rules were not created to prevent what we were talking about.
Again with the either/or.

There are lots, and lots, and lots of other possibilities. Please credit me with a little intelligence. Nothing is ever either this or that and those are the only choices.

I'm not saying everything has to be "penalized...no matter how technical it is." I'm saying that a person needs to include in their judgment, not only how the situation feels at a certain moment, but also the larger context of the association, and their general way of handling things, and the state variations and so on and so forth. Around here this particular rule is enforced a certain way. I need to take that into account when I decide what to enforce and what not to.

I'm saying my personal "common sense" isn't the only factor that should weigh into a situation, and in fact that it sometimes shouldn't weigh in at all. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with my common sense, just that it's not always the best "guideline" for how to handle a certain situation.