View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

So-so start--us and the officials

1-1 in opening weekend. On opening night, one good official, one not so good, IMHO. We played well for three quarters and bad for one, and we lost.

In the consolation game, two better officials (or so I thought). They managed the game well. They handled one mistake pretty well. Opponents inbouding, getting near the five-second mark, so their ASSISTANT coach requests a timeout, and gets it. She was a shrill-voiced lady and the head coach was a man of few words; I'm sure it was just her who requested. As we huddled, I mentioned that the assistant asked.

He looked over at their bench, said "Yep, are you sure she can't?"

I told him, "Yes, I'm sure."

He said, "Ah well, what are we going to do about it now?" with a smile as if to say "I kicked that," and I was cool with that.

One bad mistake a bit later. We shot bonus FTs for an illegal screen. Their coach questioned if we are supposed to shoot for that, and the other guy (the R) said yes and administered them.

Worst one was early in the fourth. We were up 20 so no big deal. The U is in the lead and calls a ball OOB baseline "blue" (us). The R changes it from the trail. The U yells back that he had it, and it is "blue". The R didn't hear him I don't think. U goes to administer a throw-in for us, and after we get it in the opposing coach is yelling and the R stops play and again changes the call (again from 40 feet away). The U just gives up and gives white the ball. I tell him that U had the call and it was his line. The R says "I'm the R, and I overruled him," and that's when I knew to save my breath.