View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Nevada, it's exactly the fact that the rules committee doesn't say it's illegal that makes it not illegal. My interpretations are completely irrelavant. It's the rules committee that gets to make the rules. And they haven't ruled on this.

I don't like it when kids do it, but the only reason people seem to give for calling it is do discourage them from doing it. But there's nothing in the rules about being allowed to do that, so I can't just "judgment" myself into doing it according to my preferences.
As you well know not every situation which could arise during a game has a specific play ruling. If the NFHS attempted to do that, then the rules book would be bigger than the encyclopedia.

The fact is that the NFHS does currently have a rule which covers this. The NFHS rules committee wrote the rule so that the game officials have the power to enforce sporting behavior. Judgment is a huge factor in this. Your interpretation is completely relevant. It is up to YOU to rule on this. If you do not believe that this action is "in accordance with the spirit of fair play," then you are authorized to charge an unsporting foul.