View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:13pm
Esteemed Participant

I might have a bit of a different perspective here - as a fairly long-time basketball official and having a few years in as a HS football coach...no way in the world should coaches be evaluating officials!! I would not do it as a coach...I wouldn't want it done as an official. Coaches and officials see the game differently...I like to think I am pretty even-minded as a coach due to my years of officiating, but I still want things called that will benefit my team more than the ones that will hurt my team...how do you separate the hours of time spent preparing for a game and the hours spent with the athletes from a perceived bad call that hurt my team??? Can't...that's why I will not evaluate officials...and why I don't want coaches evaluating me.

I will say that coaches should have an avenue to follow to deal with "problems" that arise during contests...twice this past football season I called the assignor to discuss (read as complain) the lack of communication from some of his officials to us on the sideline - refusing to answer some basic questions like "How was the hold on?" "Why wasn't that a...", etc...but no way would I rate them or turn in any kind of points system.