View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Does that mean that you also think the officials should be able to rate the coaches too, and that the coach's jobs should also be dependant on our ratings? Same logic, isn't it?
Who said anything about making officials' jobs "dependent" on coaches' ratings? I attempted to make clear that, while I think coaches should have a voice, it should not be the loudest voice at all.

And it's certainly not the same logic. Officials are independent contractors who move around from location to location. The reason why we have "ratings" is so that people who are responsible for our playoff assignments -- people who often do not know us and/or do not see us work very often -- can make judgments about us using some method, even if an imperfect one. Coaches, on the other hand, continuously are in one location and are (or should be) constantly evaluated by one person, the athletic director.

Even though it is not the same logic, I do think your suggestion is a good one. Although our input might receive relatively minor weighting in the decision, I do think officials feedback about coaches might be helpful as a piece in the A.D.'s evaluation.