View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
So if a coach deserved a T but the official knew that giving the T would result in a really low score, would it affect some officials decision?
You are asking me to make a couple of assumptions. (1) The official "knew" that giving the T would result in a really low score. The official probably cannot KNOW that, although she might suspect it. (2) Would it affect some officials' decisions? I can't KNOW that, although I might suspect it.

That's why I'd like coaches' input to be minimized. So that any undeserved low score is not unduly influential in the overall rating of the official. If the coach "deserved" a T but an official does not call it, that might negatively affect the ratings of an observer, evaluator or peer. If the ratings from observers, evaluators and peers are more heavily weighted than coaches, you'll have officials doing the right thing and not worrying about how it may or may not influence ratings.

A potentially underved low rating from a petty coach -- while certainly making the system imperfect -- does not, in my opinion, mean that coaches should have no voice whatsoever.