View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Either what I am hearing from 18U division folks is a bunch of bunk, or the different pitching distance is doing damage. I don't really care much wheher it is 40, 43, 46, 50... just make it all the same for the same age group. Some parts of the country aren't overrun with 18U teams, and need to be able to combine A and Gold teams into invitational tournaments. While trying to defend the process, you have illustrated my point. Lots of discussion is fine, unless there is a problem that actually needs to be addressed for the good of the sport.

Maybe the people I hear from are just whiners, but it sure seems to me like the pitching distance at 18U is chaos right now. That chaos needs to be addressed, not discussed with no action taken. The problem is bigger than just ASA, but the sport surely could have used some leadership on this issue from the NGB.
The more you listen to some people, the more you will find that whatever sanctioning body under which a team played the previous week is always better then of the org. this week.

Three years ago, I heard from a bundle of youth softball folks about how the three-game guarantee is the format of the future. Well, that lasted just one year at the JO level. A few years ago, we all heard about how ASA had to mandate face masks on batting helmets. ASA did what these folks wanted. Did not take a full day before people started complaining about the extra $15 they were going to need to spend to get an "approved" face mask. Even though these people had over a year's notice, they still weren't smart enough to figure this one out. People are now starting to "demand" mandated face protection for pitchers and infielders at the corners. If ASA is dumb enough to follow through with this, how long do you think it will take for the whining about the need to buy new equipment to begin?

I've stopped taking this information so seriously. I'll listen and store it away someplace for future reference.

You seem to insist that a lack of change was "no action". The general council took action. They acted by rejecting the proposed change, the same as Federation did.