View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Slow down there chief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Not saying I agree or disagree, but....

So you let a player get away with something and this approach works (rather well) for you, but only sometimes?

So other times it has worked only "ok", "passable"??

Let me pause for a sec...

Sometimes ... do you mean less than most times?
I think it was a little early in the morning for you. You really are reading waaaaaaaaaaaay too much into the statement.

Quote:
What if this retaliation (purposely missed second foul) is more severe than the instigating contact? Do you call it? Do you ignore it? If you call it, is the bar now not set somewhere that you don't like it?
Yeah, it is a little too early for you.

Quote:
So above you said to let contact go, possibly significant, and here you're saying to call ticky tack fouls?
I did not use the term “ticky tack,” you did. A "cheap" foul in my terminology is a foul committed by a player that should not have taken place on the player's part. In other words the player committed a foul that was basically dumb and unnecessary. I hear a lot of coaches use this term and it is not a criticism about the officials rather than a criticism of the player for doing something they should not do.

Quote:
Maybe the NFHS doesn't feel this way. If they did, one could argue that there is no need for a double foul. If there is jostling that is illegal and so near each other in time, ding 'em both. That tells them that can't initiate this contact, nor retaliate.
It is not always about the NF. I do not work for the NF, but I do work for people that want certain things called and other things avoided. I think calling a double foul is more of a cop out because one of the players did something first. Work hard to get the first action or talk players out of behavior that might get a foul called on them. Also in my opinion we let the offensive player do just about anything and we do not call a thing on them. If you call a foul on an offensive player that pushed and held to keep the defender in a certain place, that sends a bigger message from my point of view.

Peace