View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 06:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Not saying I agree or disagree, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you think you missed the first foul or you know you missed the first foul, miss the second foul (on purpose) and call the 3rd foul. it worked rather well sometimes.
So you let a player get away with something and this approach works (rather well) for you, but only sometimes?

So other times it has worked only "ok", "passable"??

Let me pause for a sec...

Sometimes ... do you mean less than most times?

What if this retaliation (purposely missed second foul) is more severe than the instigating contact? Do you call it? Do you ignore it? If you call it, is the bar now not set somewhere that you don't like it?

Quote:
Call a couple of quick and cheap off ball fouls on these players and it will stop one way or another. Either the coach will have to take out the player from the game or the players will adjust.
So above you said to let contact go, possibly significant, and here you're saying to call ticky tack fouls?

Quote:
BTW, I am not a huge fan of the double foul like I was early in my career. Penalize the right player, someone fouled first.
Maybe the NFHS doesn't feel this way. If they did, one could argue that there is no need for a double foul. If there is jostling that is illegal and so near each other in time, ding 'em both. That tells them that can't initiate this contact, nor retaliate.