View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:43am
Do not give a damn!!

This is something I learned at camp this past summer. If you think you missed the first foul or you know you missed the first foul, miss the second foul (on purpose) and call the 3rd foul. I am not saying that is the right thing to do, but he told us to not call a cheap foul on the retaliator when the initiator started the contact. I have tried this and it worked rather well sometimes.

Also you can use dead ball opportunities to talk to the players and let them know you are watching. You can also use your voice during live ball to let the players know you are watching. I typically say things like "EASY EASY EASY" or "HANDS HANDS." If that does not work I put air in the whistle and that will get the ultimate message. Call a couple of quick and cheap off ball fouls on these players and it will stop one way or another. Either the coach will have to take out the player from the game or the players will adjust.

BTW, I am not a huge fan of the double foul like I was early in my career. Penalize the right player, someone fouled first.

Peace