View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 05:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Welcome to the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
I'm a new, first year ref. I have a few years experience in coaching youth basketball and this year I will be officiating at the 7/8 grade level. I have found these forums to be extremely informative and just reading them has answered some questions for me.
In preparation, I've done a lot of reviewing of the NFHS Officials manual (which apparently a lot of officials here haven't read) and the NFHS rules. Any assistance from you experienced refs on these would be great.

1. A1 & B1 jump ball to start the game, both go up and tip the ball and B1 subsequently catches the tip and passes off to a teammate. Isn't this a violation under 6-3-7c which states neither jumper shall catch the ball? Shouldn't Team A have a throw-in OOB nearest the violation? The ref ignored me when I asked.

2. Several of the refs here call a "reach" for everything from a hold to an illegal use of hands. Somehow I don't ever recall seeing a reach listed in the rules as a violation. Is this normal protocol at this level? Isn't there a better terminology that could be used?
Let me say first things first. If you are coaching and these things happen, it is unlikely that you will see many officials at the 7 and 8 grade levels that are very good or very experienced. It just is not a fact of life. These are the levels that many officials start out at or end their careers doing these levels. You will not see the cream of the crop very often if at all. So you need to keep this in mind when you watch officials at this level work. Now I know someone will try to say that they are the best official in their area and they work all the little kids’ games they can. That might be true in some rare cases, but most people have other things to do than work those games over a HS or college game that is available on the same night. So you are seeing officials that either is not very experienced or they cannot advance to other levels often because they are not very good. This is probably why you experienced #1 and #2.

Quote:
Lastly,
3. Could someone clarify exactly what a hand-check is as opposed to an illegal use of hands and when it would be called (and how?) Would this be a "reach"?
A hand-check is something largely involving the ball handler and usually people will call a hand-check when the dribbler is involved. Illegal use of hands is just what it sounds like, Illegal use of hands. The hand-checking signal was put in to clarify a certain kind of act and to give more clarification to what the defender really did. You by definition really cannot have a hand-check by an offensive player or ball handler against the defensive player. It is really not that big of a deal, you use the signal to clarify what happen. It comes down to some personal choice when and how you use these signals. It is kind of like telling a story.

Quote:
Sorry for the long-winded question. I appreciate any help. I'm sure I'll be posting here more often.
You obviously are new to this forum.

Peace