View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 04:31am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4Asian8
Had a situation during a scrimmage in the post play (of course, right?) where A5 and B5 are both jostling for position 3/4 across the key. I'm lead (2-whistle). A mentor of mine told me to identify the knuckleheads early, and here they were. I tell them to knock it off, but neither heed my warning. Then the ball comes toward me in my peripheral outside the 3-pt arc, also aggressively contested. I widen my angle to try to see both actions (ball & post). In my judgment nothing really happens either way.

Should I have killed the play with a double-foul on the post play since they didn't "hear" me or protected the shooter? I know that many areas frown upon the "double foul"....get the perpretrator first. But I couldn't tell. How do you handle this kind of thing?
Couple of points here. Assuming NCAA womens and 3-person. On the womens side, the Lead has that entire quadrant, so yes, if the ball came into your primary, you now have ball responsiblity. However, you still have the post play action going on as well. I think a better question would have been (again assuming NCAA women's) where do I focus my attention as the lead in this situation? Do I take the ball or stay with the post play? In 2-person, I think you ask the same question and I think the answer is to take the ball.

I agree with the double fouls, and it's great to use when the players won't listen to you. I am more in favor of communicating in this area of coverage. If I can get out of there with just telling them, hands off!, don't hold!, don't push!, I don't have to penalize or slow the game up with fouls. Of course, if I mix in a holding foul right after I verbalize very loudly don't hold, I got everybody attention now and from that point on, when I say hands off! You see the hands go straight up in the air and then you know you got their attention. Play ball....