View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 04:25am
PYRef

Smile Some Clarifications

I'm a new, first year ref. I have a few years experience in coaching youth basketball and this year I will be officiating at the 7/8 grade level. I have found these forums to be extremely informative and just reading them has answered some questions for me.
In preparation, I've done a lot of reviewing of the NFHS Officials manual (which apparently a lot of officials here haven't read) and the NFHS rules. Any assistance from you experienced refs on these would be great.

1. A1 & B1 jump ball to start the game, both go up and tip the ball and B1 subsequently catches the tip and passes off to a teammate. Isn't this a violation under 6-3-7c which states neither jumper shall catch the ball? Shouldn't Team A have a throw-in OOB nearest the violation? The ref ignored me when I asked.

2. Several of the refs here call a "reach" for everything from a hold to an illegal use of hands. Somehow I don't ever recall seeing a reach listed in the rules as a violation. Is this normal protocol at this level? Isn't there a better terminology that could be used?

Lastly,
3. Could someone clarify exactly what a hand-check is as opposed to an illegal use of hands and when it would be called (and how?) Would this be a "reach"?

Sorry for the long-winded question. I appreciate any help. I'm sure I'll be posting here more often.