View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 01:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
NFHS - Jump ball. Player A1 catches the tip. We all know there is a case play which tells us B get the ball and the Possession Arrow. My question is what if A1 steals the tip. That is, tips the ball before it reaches it's highest point. I'm not even concerned about those close ones, I mean one right out the Refs hand. Would you handle this violation the same as the caught jump ball case play. B ball and B possession arrow ???

112448 - I know, I know - NCAA Handles this 100% better than NFHS...

First, NFHS and NCAA Rules handle jump ball violations and the initial setting of the arrow exactly the same way except the jump ball violation where A1 illegally catches the jump ball, and the NFHS and NCAA did not part ways on that one until the 1993-94 season.

Second, if A1 taps the ball while the ball is on its way up after leaving the Referee's hand(s), A1 has committed a jump ball violation. Both NHFS and NCAA say the Team B gets the possession of the ball for a throw-in nearest the spot of the violation and the arrow is set towards Team A's basket when the ball is placed at the disposable of Team B for the throw-in due to Team A's violation.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio