View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:32pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkeii
1) Mechanics are not rules - and as you youself stated, they only carry weight as assignors and associations say they do. But, the point was - if all we are supposed to follow is rules, then mechanics mean nothing, as do the other things. You can't have it both ways...
Neither can you. You are operating with a clear lack of understanding on this, David.

Quote:
2) No exaggeration - if you take care of the small things, the larger things take care of themselves. Don't take care of the small things, and the larger things just get completely out of control, eventually.
This is an unjustified overgeneralization, David. It applies to some things, but it does not make your HUGE exaggeration true.

Quote:
3) so you would stand back and watch? That is what I get out of your lack of addressing this issue.
My lack of addressing that issue is because the issue is ridiculous. There's no comparison between that red herring and the issue that we're actually discussing.

Quote:
4) The fallacy here is that the majority can't be wrong.
Notice that I did not say the majority can't be wrong. I actually made the point that it's possible for you to be right. In reality, however, you are wrong.

Quote:
Not the slippery slope theory.
The slippery slope is not a "theory". It is indeed a logical fallacy that does not yield a valid (or cogent) conclusion. You can confirm that in any introductory logic textbook.

I'm done discussing this with you, David. Not because of any ill-will, but because you are clearly not willing to entertain the possibility that you might be wrong. So there's really no reason for me to add anything else to the conversation.