View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Absolutely false. Proper mechanics matter in varying degrees to the people who assign games. If your assignor places a large emphasis on proper mechanics, then mechanics have a big bearing on your game.

The mechanics prescribed by the NFHS have a bearing only insofar as local organizations, assignors, and fellow officials care about them. I know from reading this forum that Texas uses very different mechanics from some of those in the NFHS handbook. Where I am, we disregard the NFHS mechanics for certain situations, like time-outs.

Mechanics do have a bearing on our game, but not simply because the NFHS says we should do it a certain way.

As my pre-teen daughter would say, "Exaggerate much?"

And the slippery slope theory is one of the most common logical FALACIES in the book. Don't use the slippery slope "theory", because it almost never produces a legitimate conclusion.

This is, quite honestly, the dumbest statement in this whole thread. Please don't equate "How the he!!" with physical assault and robbery.

That's fine. As long as you recognize the consequences and feel comfortable with them, do what you have to do. If you think that the other 99.9% of us are wrong, go knock yourself out. Is it possible that you're right and we're all wrong? Absoluely. Is it actually the case that you're right and we're all wrong? Sorry, but no.
Lets see:

1) Mechanics are not rules - and as you youself stated, they only carry weight as assignors and associations say they do. But, the point was - if all we are supposed to follow is rules, then mechanics mean nothing, as do the other things. You can't have it both ways...

2) No exaggeration - if you take care of the small things, the larger things take care of themselves. Don't take care of the small things, and the larger things just get completely out of control, eventually.

3) As I stated, there is a large difference between the robbery example and the language. But as I also stated, they both are an example of someone choosing to not intervene because it "isn't their job" - I clearly stated that the situation indicated no liklihood of physical harm to yourself - so you would stand back and watch? That is what I get out of your lack of addressing this issue.

4) "4 million teeth can't be wrong" - a saying from a commercial. The fallacy here is that the majority can't be wrong. Not the slippery slope theory. It doesn't work in every case - but we can see over the last 40 years or so, for example, in the use of language in TV, that as we lower our standards a little more and a little more, society follows suit. Language that would be unlikely to be heard is now commonplace in many places - because of a lowering of standards.