View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 28, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Question

Rule 3 Section 5

The referee shall not permit any team memeber to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate. Examples of illegal items include, but are not limited to: Art. 1...A guard, cast or brace made of hard substance - even though covered with soft padding - when worn on the elbow, hand, finger, wrist or forearm.

We had a referee make a player take off a knee brace this last weekend before a boys Varsity contest. The Coach said he had been playing with it all year. The kid said, "that's ok, I don't really need it anyway" and he took it off.

My question is this:
What are the guidelines for a knee brace being too dangerous to play with? Is it in the judgement of each individual referee? What are the liabilities if an official makes a kid take off his brace and then he blows his knee out as a result? (After he had been "legally" wearing it all year, in the judgement of another official)

These questions made for some interesting discussions at the local watering hole the other night. Districts are coming so it would be nice to have this clarified before they start. (The guys asked me to ask this forum)

Thanks for your input,
RookieDude