View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 20, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

David,
I think it may be helpful for you to take a different outlook on this forum. There have been a few threads where you take a hard stance on things and will not budge or try to learn from others. I don't know what levels of basketball you work, but to move up you are getting lots of good advice from people who have been there. I've only been officiating for 6 years, but the one thing that has helped me move in the right direction is that I listen to other officials. Early on I had a few threads here where I got defensive about my position and didn't really listen to some of the advice given by more experienced officials. Over time I learned that they were, more often than not, right on the money and I made changes. There's nothing wrong with having your opinion, but when this many people tell you that's not the way to do it, you might want to take their advice. Not everything that happens on the court can be covered as right or wrong by the rules book. You have to use some common sense. It is not a black and white profession which is why we now sometimes wear grey shirts.