View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
I have to say that, even as rules-picky as I am, I would probably be pretty hard pressed to call the T s but I would very likely say something to the coach at some point.

I think some people are missing the point. In NFHS (so I'm not referring to college or pro with this, since I only officiate HS), the sports are defined as an extention of the classroom. No sport permits profanity or obscenity, as none of these are appropriate in a classroom.

That goes double for coaches - it is never appropriate for a teacher to swear at a student - sure, it happens (cant say as I ever have in 11 years of teaching, nor do I remember having any teachers that did), but is it ever appropriate? No. And the rules, and the rules committees, ask us to enforce this, through its inclusion in the rules, and regular, repeat appearances in POE's in many sports yearly.

That said - I still would have trouble calling that one without a warning, but I would very likely give the warning quickly, and then the T just as quickly if it happens again.

JMHO