View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_bbcoach
Isn't this a IP foul for a player who is out of bounds touching a live ball inbounds? I can not site the rule, but something in my brain thinks there is something like that. If not, then could A throw a pass towards the sideline and have a player OOB swat the ball back towards a player?
Your second question comes back to a thread that got a lot of discussion a while back, but I can't find it. There are three possibilities. If the player is standing on the ground OOB when he swats it, then it's simply incomplete. If the player leaps from in bounds and is over OOB territory when he swats it, it's a legal bat - play on.

The argument came on the play where the receiver steps OOB, leaps into the air, and bats the ball to an in-bounds teammate. Consensus was that this should be an illegal participation foul. Other thoughts were to just rule this incomplete (IMO, more a call of convenience than anything else), or to say no foul on the play (which I argued for on the grounds that the term "in bounds" is nowhere defined, and I didn't think the receiver had returned in bounds).