View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Situation!

Varsity Girls Game . . .

About 45 seconds left in the first half of a tie game. Team A is fouled while shooting. We line up and shoot the first shot. I am the Lead, my partner is the Trail (2-person). Team B enters TWO subs after the first shot. One of the players for Team B does not exit the floor, so we have 6 players on the floor (my partner and I do not see this - always count players, I know!). I am watching the lane, I look to my partner for verification to administer the 2nd Free Throw, he says go ahead. I toss the ball to the shooter. Now, here is the tough part. One of Team B's players, who is occupying the first lane space in front of me, walks out of her space to the endline and then back to her bench (because she is the 6th player on the floor for Team B). I don't know there are 6 players on the floor, so I hold out my arm for a delayed whistle because she vacated her lane space after the ball was at the disposal of the shooter. Team A's shooter misses the 2nd shot, I blow my whistle and call the violation. Coach from Team A starts yelling that they have 6 players on the floor, and that it should be a Technical Foul. My partner gets into an argument where the coach from Team B tells my partner it was his fault because he had poor game management (thank goodness he didn't give him a "T"). So, my partner and I come together to talk about the situation. I tell him that we will call the violation, let Team A's shooter retake her second shot, and continue play from there. Both coaches seem satisfied, and we move on. Nothing else significant. (Team A ended up winning by 19.)

Now, if I am correct, according to NFHS rules, we should have assessed a Technical Foul because the ball is considered LIVE when at the disposal of the thrower, and having a 6th player on the floor during a live ball is illegal). We should have cleared the lane and had the shooter retake her the 2nd of two free throws because of the violation, then shot the two Technical Foul shots, and then inbounded the ball to Team A at the Division Line. Is this correct?

I would like to hear thoughts on ways to handle this situation as well? Thank you in advance for any input/advice.