View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
Usually, when talking to young officials, I say that one double foul call is one too much.

Maybe that's not the whole truth, I admit that in some rare occasions a double foul is the correct call, but I prefer that young officials think twice (better more times) before calling one. I feel it's like we are admitting that we don't know who fouled first.

Ciao
I have acctually never been told much about the double foul. I've been advised once to use it as a way to clear the post play, I think in the scenario I mentioned abowe it was a good call though. But I agree the double foul is not often the best call. To call the first contact is mostly the best thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
When I was a young official, I was given the opposite advice with regard to cleaning up the post. I've still only called a couple in my career, but they were both in the post with two big guys jockeying for position.
Same thing with me, no wait a sec.
My first double was in a girls game. Two girls going up the court, pushing eachother (yeah I had a terribly late whistle, but I had a terribly bad day ). I should've called the first push, but since my whistle was so late when I called the other girl had already pushed back. I gave them one foul each, but I could've avoided that one by calling the first foul properly.

The second one I've called was a post play with centers bumping for position. The game was quite physical and that was my way of clearing up the post and make the game cleaner. It helped a bit, then if it's the best way to clear things up. Dunno, that might be a good new thread (how to clear up the post when the play gets rough)