Thread: Instant Replay?
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
No, the infraction does not have to be obvious. The only requirement is that you must see it and not guess it.
Which for me means that it has to be obvious!

Quote:
Let me ask you this question which will help explain my position.[INDENT]In your personal experience, which would you say occurs more frequently:
a.) you have made the call
b.) you have defensive team representatives screaming that "she is/was out of the box"[INDENT]I would be willing to bet money, that most umpires would answer (b).
But of course. Same with any close play. Close play at first base and you hear from whichever coach/fans didn't get the call. Fly ball that lands on the line, half the folks will say fair while the other half say foul. A pitcher who has a "hinky" deliver, but in all aspects of the rule is legal, you will hear parents/coaches talking about her being illegal. I am not going to call an illegal pitch just because they think she is illegal, but if I see her do something illegal, then you can be darn sure I will call it then. Same with a batter out of the box. Just because coaches/fans think she is out of the box doesn't mean that she is, however, let her make contact with the ball with her foot on the ground clearly(obviously) outside the box, and you can bet that she will be called for it. I have heard coaches/fans want an out simply because the batter, usually a slapper, steps outside of the box without making contact with the ball.

Quote:
IMO, the majority of violations that actuallly occur are not called. Why? because it is mechanically impossible to truly see the violation.
It may be that they are not called, yet I disagree that it is mechanically impossible to see the violation. Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.