Thread: Instant Replay?
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I disagree that there is ever any need for instant replay to be used in the game.
For the record, (repeated from my OP), I am not a big fan of IR for any sport. Plus, it is completely theoretical, because our game will never have IR, cost prohibitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
This call can be made, I have made it several times, but the infraction has to be obvious for me to do so. But, isn't that the way it is with any call?
No, the infraction does not have to be obvious. The only requirement is that you must see it and not guess it.

Let me ask you this question which will help explain my position.
In your personal experience, which would you say occurs more frequently:
a.) you have made the call
b.) you have defensive team representatives screaming that "she is/was out of the box"
I would be willing to bet money, that most umpires would answer (b).
Certainly, the call can be made. My position is that this is not an easy call. Not only is it a difficult call, but it just might be the #1 most difficult call to make.

IMO, the majority of violations that actuallly occur are not called. Why? because it is mechanically impossible to truly see the violation.

Sure if the batter is blatantly out of the box, let's say an aggressive slapper on a change up, this call can be made.

But, seeing the batterr's foot both completely out of the box and on the ground, AND seeing the ball make contact with the bat to determine which occured first, is not only difficult, but quite possibly impossible.

If you are able to do this consistently and accuratley, please detail your mechanics.