View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fine, but why does assaulting an official over a game ejection result in a greater penalty under the law than assaulting your neighbor because he asks you to leave his property? Does your neighbor not deserve the same protections as a game official? Is the fan a greater threat to society than the hot-tempered neighbor?
Tom,
I understand your point, but I would argue yes they are a greater threat to society. Your neighbor has an issue with a person that is treading on their property, that idiot fan has gone crazy over a stupid game. I think protecting your own property is different. That aside I know there is a point to your post, someone that strikes another out of anger should be subject to the same penalty. I still see another side, someone walking down the street gets into a fight with another, maybe 10-15 people tops see that act of aggression, however a coach strikes an official there are hundreds of people who see that act of aggression most of which (in high school and below) are young impressionable people. Having an authority figure like a coach displaying an act of aggression to that point is just flat out giving a bad message to youth, and it should be met with strict penalties that will show the idiot he screwed up, and more importantly IMO show the next guy that might blow his top that there are strict penalties I better keep my cool. I know another arguement about penalties as a true deterrant but I think it would send a message, JMHO