View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've been "handled" that way by a veteran ref, when I was working a game where I had no business being, and it worked out great. I've also had a vet say that to a coach when it was a disaster for me. So I'm not sure what's best.

I will tell you what the guy did, who did it right, because I asked him later what he said. He said, "Coach, I think she's a great ref, and I've worked with her before, so I know. I know you're not going to see it at first, because she's inexperienced and doesn't project confidence. But if you watch the game closely, you'll see that she's consistent, she knows the rules, and she's working her tail off for you. It's really important to give the newbies a break in situations like this, becuase that's how they get better. Although in her case, getting better just means believing that she's as good as she really is."

Needless to say, I was flattered, especially since I knew he was a really good ref, and I figured if he thought I was good, I must be. But also, he covered for me, and sort of made excuses for me, but without belittling me. After the game, both coaches came to me and said "I really didn't think you could handle it but you did a great job." One even called my assignor and told him.

So in that case it was good, but I'm not sure it's a general practice that's healthy.