View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iref4him
As a veteran official, if i have agame with a new official we will pregame. I will pregame on the floor, during time outs. I try to talk to them and let them work their game. I try to give them confidence. Ask them to rmemeber calls so we can discuss them at any breaks.

A veteran official did this to me, I started to feel at ease as the game went on. He also went to both coaches and told them "Leave him alone tonight, If you have a probelm talk to me. If you get in his face I will 'T' you up." Both coaches listened to the veteran official and let me alone and I worked the game.

I have done the same thing since then as a veteran official. It has been effective.
That is a terrible idea if you ask me. Now you just put the bull eye on the rookie throughout the game. Not all new basketball officials are new to the game or do not have an understanding of what they are getting into. Doing this will also make a coach think the newer official is not as skilled (which might not be true). I would never do this. If you’re afraid of a younger official quitting, then you need to train them properly and they will be steps ahead at the beginning.

Peace