View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin2improve
thanks all...that's the rule reference I went back to....imo, the kid never had LGP..he was so wide that he would have had to bring his feet in to move up the court...his coach was just looking for motivation for his team b/c they were getting throttled by 30....

thanks again.
This is going to sound insane, but just because a player has legal guarding position, doesn't mean that his position is legal.

In other words he can still commit a foul even though he has LGP. Simply does something else that is illegal. In this case he breaks 10-6-1 and that is the reason for the blocking foul.

It is afterall my opinion that this kid does indeed have LGP. There are only two requirements for that (4-23-2 a+b) and the kid's position meets both of them.

Let me give you a further example. The kid has both feet on the floor and is facing his opponent, but his arms are extended in front of him at a 45 degree angle upward. He has LGP, but he is violating the principle of verticality. If the contact occurs on his torso, it would likely be a PC foul, but if the contact were to occur with his arms, then an illegal use of hands foul would be correct.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Nov 15, 2006 at 06:06pm.