View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

We have this same sort of problem in my area. To often there some officials out there that believe they are better then the other official/officials that they are working with.

The situation you bring up is touchy. You want to make sure the game gets officiated fairly but you also want the rookie to be involved and find some level comfort. I don't think I could let a whole game go on the basis that the rookie needs to learn. If there is a call that needs to be gotten then I may step in and get it but then on the next dead ball explain why that needs to be called. I would NEVER, NEVER over rule the new official. If I had information contrary to what he was calling I would simply give it to him and let him make the decision. This would help keep this person involved and not feel like he's out of the game.

A good veteran would do everything in his/her power to insure that the new person was in the game and stays in the game. They would go out of their way to insure that the new official wouldn't feel like he/she doesn't belong.

You still have to officiate the game. You just can't let the game go on the basis that its bad on both ends. If you have to make calls that he should be getting, use those calls as a learning tool by explaining why. Use every dead ball to communicate with the new official. Tell him.her when they have made a good call. reinforce those calls. If you know and they know that it was a bad call get them by it. Get to the next play. This is also part of the learning curve.

If we can't teach rookies @ this level then we don't need to be the teachers. Veterans are the ones who should be able to handle the coach, help the new person get better, while managing the game.