View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

A philosophy question?

Now I understand that in an altruistic way of thinking that "we" as officials try to get it "right" when ever possible. However I attended a few junior high games last night to watch some of our new officials work. Keep in mind each new official was paired with a more experienced official. During one of the games a pure rookie was working their first live game. This official had worked a couple of scrimmages and had attended our mechanics clinic. The senior official tossed the ball and for the first three-to-four minutes not much happened and not much was called. Then with about two minutes left in the first the rookie had a block/charge situation, which there is no doubt in my mind he got right with a block call. The offending team's coach didn't like the call, and the rookie didn't have great confidence in the call. The senior official got a "little" heat from the coach and at first, took it well. However in the middle of the second after a couple of missed calls and few more unconfident calls by the rookie, the senior officials started calling the whole game. Right before halftime the rookie had a foul call and the veteran over ruled the rookie with a walk call that "happened before the foul". After that the rookie shipped it in and just let the veteran call everything except for out of bounds. Now along with being bad mechanics, I worry that a lot of us senior officials would rather call everything than let a new "b" earn their stripes. As long as no one is getting hurt and rookie is working as hard as they can I don't have a problem looking "bad" while new officials get comfortable and develop a feel for the game. So what if it’s a poorly officiating game, as long as it’s bad both ways. Now without critizing the veteran in this situation, does any body have any thoughts?