Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
I'm confused about two things:

1) Can someone explain what rule allows them to take the points off the board and administer the throw-in to the visitors. I am not saying this is illogical but what allows this by rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
I don't have current books, they are at Kinkos getting bound together. The only ones I could easily find are 2002-3. It's in CB, 10.1.8. Basically, it says if A erroneously takes the ball out after a goal or a TO and subsequently scores, you do the following:

a. Charge Team A with a Tech
b. Cancel the goal
c. Cancel any common fouls and any non-flagrant fouls against the shooter
d. Put consumed time back on clock

It goes on further to say that if there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, follow the entire procedure above except that no technical foul is charged.
Mregor
Someone else will have to tell us when this Case Book ruling was adopted as I only have books going back to the 2001-2002 season. (I foolishly tossed the previous ones out before I discovered this forum.) This ruling is in that year's book and the wording is still the same today.

A SPECIFIC UNSPORTING ACT
10.1.8 SITUATION: Immediately following a goal or free throw by Team A, A1 inbounds the ball to A2 and A2 subsequently throws the ball through A's basket. RULING: The following procedure has been adopted to handle this specific situation if it is recognized before the opponents gain control or before the next throw-in begins: (a) charge Team A with a technical foul; (b) cancel the field goal; (c) cancel any common foul(s) committed and any nonflagrant foul against A2 in the act of shooting; and (d) put “consumed” time back on the clock. COMMENT: If there is no doubt the throw-in was a result of confusion, the entire procedure would be followed except no technical foul would be charged. This procedure shall not be used in any other throw-in situation in which a mistake allows the wrong team to inbound the ball.